Sunday, June 19, 2011

Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow..

 Five weeks ago I started this little Fitness Ridge experiment with much anxiety and trepidation. Five weeks ago, I knew the only way I would stay is if I let everyone I knew--friends, family, clients, work associates, facebook land, church members, etc--know that I was going to Fitness Ridge and I would document, based on a true story, my thoughts, feelings, fears, experiences, failures and successes via this blog. Five weeks ago, my expectation for success was solely focused
on how much weight I could lose. Five weeks ago, I was spinning out of control, confused and definitely heading the wrong direction.

Today, I am home...reflective of my experiences and more than grateful for the opportunity to have had the Fitness Ridge experience. Today, I understand the real value in the last five weeks are the new habits developed and information absorbed. Today, my head is clear and my understanding solid in regards to food, body, mind, soul, work and achieving a greater balance than I have known in many, many years. Today, I am better having met so many new lifelong friends-struggling with similar issues and in many cases...exaggerated by personal tragedy and overcome by shear determination and strength. Today, I am grateful for the challenges I'm faced with as compared to many I've met. Today, I am humbled by the amount of support I have received by those close to me, those I associate with through work and those I've not seen or heard directly from for years. Today, I am thankful for all of you who kept me focused simply by reading, calling, texts and sending an email or two. Today, I am a tad more than 50 lbs smaller than I was not too long ago.
 
Tomorrow, I start the next chapter of my life...at home with my family, job and and regular duties. I say regular, but in no way mean "normal". The focus must be building on those things I've learned and no matter if I stumble from time to time, remembering that stumbling in no way equals failing. Progression does not necessarily mean a continuous line upward but a path that no matter the twists and turns...still progresses. I no longer fear failure, but embrace the inevitability of success that comes along with a great work ethic, desire, determination, knowledge and...a little luck. I am excited for tomorrow, for my wife's new husband and my kids new dad!
 
The pictures attached are from my last Saturday hike in Snow Canyon with Rachel. I took her on the Hidden Pinyon trail, up to Indiana Jones and Jeff's Hill and into a canyon near Piano Rock before we had to turn back. This was not one of those "bust your butt" type of hikes. We took our time, enjoyed hiking with each other, our environment and took plenty of pictures. Did we burn some calories and get a little more fit in the process...sure. But more importantly, we burned some of those, redundant, run of the mill, more of the same, I need a change type calories. What a refreshing day, hiking with a beauty amongst the beauty!
 I've decided to keep blogging as I continue to go from fat to fit. It's been good for me to be brutally honest with myself as I work through the process. Compared to five weeks ago...I feel amazing. And, I cant wait to know what I will feel like five weeks from now. Here's to the next 50 hikes, miles pounds and more...!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Rob! 50 lbs is quite an accomplishment! Thanks for letting us all tag along with you on your journey. I especially think it's neat that Rachel got to come and share your journey. I think to have you both on the same page, learning the same things you can't help but be successful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! It's been inspiring to follow along Rob! Thanks for sharing your experience with us and for motivating us all to be better today than we were yesterday. Here's to an even better tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete