Sunday, June 12, 2011

Until We Meet Again, How You Doin'...

Remember end of the semester finals in college? I would always tell myself, while last minute cramming, "no matter what happens, on this certain date a couple weeks out, whether I fail everything or pass with flying colors, they'll all be over." Well, I officially have one week left here at Fitness Ridge and I can't believe I am really this close to having this 5 week experience over and done with and back to real life!

Another Sunday means saying bye to good friends and welcoming in, "new meat." This Sunday was particularly tough, given the great friends leaving and some that started with me 5 weeks ago. We reminisced outside by the pool the night before, remembering funny things that had happened over the previous weeks and swapping contact info. I wish them all the best and look forward to keeping in touch with all. (Carl, Jolie & Kim pictured)


On the other hand, I have been looking forward to this Sunday for sometime knowing I was getting a new roommate! Don't get me wrong, I love Carl and consider him a great friend, but, and I know he would understand, he doesn't hold a stick to this little Asian kid that moved in today. I say little, because he is short, but as you can see by the photo-his journey is just beginning. His name is Eet Sun Fwy Chykn...I think it's a family name but not sure. I snapped this photo while he was eating his, "last chance meal". I don't know him very good yet, I think he mentioned he was a gymnast when he was young and actually broke both legs and arms in the growth plates and had to give up the sport. Bad luck!


Before I move on, if you happen to be a short, chubby Asian and are offended by my post thus far-take comfort in the fact that I am a fat, bald, white dude with one eyebrow.

So my real new roommate is Rach. I am so happy to have her here so she can have some of the same experiences I have had this last while. Plus, many people have asked me detailed questions about things I've learned in lectures, etc. Now, I can send them to her and she can tell them everything she saw and heard and I won't pull a brain muscle in the process. Also, this month Rach and I will celebrate 17 years since our first date, in St George believe it or not. She may not have known it was a date, but I asked her and her BFF Bekka if they wanted to come with me and Stevo down to the play, "Utah", at Tuacahn. That was one of the funnest times I've ever had and a cherished memory. I didn't know if she liked me at the time but I remember telling Steve, "I'm going to keep asking her out until she marries me, or gets a restraining order." Thanks for not calling the police Rach!


Today's menu was decent. I had my usual eggs and toast instead of the muffin, and the rest was pretty okay. As I've said before, this has been a wonderful experience, but I'm ready to start eating the eggs and toast at home with my wife and kids. At one point, I was fearful of leaving here and trying this all on my own- wondering if I might fail...again. Now, I feel confident, educated and excited about the future. I understand that no one has been more critical of me, than me. And, progress is progress. A healthy life style is not a sprint but a life long effort!

3 comments:

  1. This week is going to fly by for you guys. Take comfort in knowing that we will all be taking good-ish care of your kids while you are gone. :o) Love you and Rachel and I'm proud of you both!
    -Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was such a fun trip Rob! Thanks for inviting me to come along. You better keep up the blog after you leave, because it is so dang funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So far this week has flown by for me. No, wait. It's only Monday night and I've been here with the kids taking "good-ish" care of them since...was it just yesterday afternoon? Seriously, things have gone really well. You and Rachel have done a good job with them. I'm excited to hear all about what you've both learned when you get back.

    ReplyDelete