Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Excuse me, am I wearing shoes?

I had a major break through today and to be honest, I'm not sure when it actually happened along the way-I just happend to notice this morning. As I was getting ready around 5:45am for my hike, it all of the sudden hit me that I was sitting in a chair, tying my shoe! I know you're asking yourself, what's the big break through? Well, that's it...me sitting, while tying my shoe and without holding my breath and having to come up for air a couple times before completing the job. Yes, I was that bad and yes, I'm ashamed to admit it but...no more. So, I decided to take things to the next level. I stood up, looked down and saw the darnedest thing...the tips of my shoes. Again, a giant step (pun) intended) mentally in realizing I really am making good progress. So, I thought for a moment and said to myself, "I wonder"? And so I sat down, grabbed both my feet and brought them up around my side and touched the side of my head, as documented in this photo of me. I just can't believe the progress I've made to this point!



Yesterday's menu was pretty good. I have pictured two of the meals from yesterday, along with the menu for the day. This is one of the few breakfasts I wont swap out for the eggs and toast, probably because eggs and English muffin are just as good, and with turkey bacon. The lunch, also pictured, is one of my favorites. A grilled vegetable skewer along with turkey and rice smothered in green chili sauce. I'm a big believer that pretty much anything can be made better by smothering with green chili sauce...except for the colonel's original recipe of course...that's just madness! We also had a vegetable soup for lunch and a very good turkey chili with cornbread. I don't have them pictured here because pictures of soups end up looking like crap...literally, crap. And to be fair, most all of the soups here have been very, very good.


The assessment hike yesterday, was out of the usual for a group of us. They didn't tell us where we were going, until we got there. the trail is called, "Three Ponds Overlook". This is one of the most beautiful hikes I've done here with great ascent and a hike on top of a ridge about a thousand feet up and views of snow canyon from the top. There was a lot of sand stone climbing, which I love. No matter how steep, if you trust your feet, you can cruise and climb almost anything cause your shoes just stick to the rock.

Today, I did the stop sign hike for my 4th and final time during this Fitness Ridge experience. Four weeks ago, I did the 4.3 mile ascent up snow canyon in about an hour and 12 minutes. The second time I did it, I was around an hour an seven minutes and the third time about an hour and five minutes. I really wanted to break one hour on my last time, and I felt like I was working at a pace to get that done. There were a few people that got out ahead of me because they decided to run parts of the lower two miles. I kept them in view and used them as motivation to keep my speed up. On the upper two miles it gets really steep and I slowly reeled one after the other in and with a quarter mile left, began to run for fear of not making my goal. When I got there, the guide gave me my time of 55 1/2 minutes...I met my goal. So, I turned around and walked all the way back down feeling really good about my progress.


Rachel and I are in separate vans, on separate hikes. I love that she is having some of her own experiences, away from me. I often think I get in her way by monopolizing her time and controlling conversation in groups. Rach is super funny, very fun, extremely happy and just pleasant to be around...and others are learning that for themselves as they get to know her. Rachel hiked Scout Cave. Because of the speed in which she hiked, they are moving her up one group tomorrow. Rach has never been one to back down from a good challenge! Rach is blogging her experience at: www.breakmeorbreakfree.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment